Hectic, busy lives often cause sleep to be put on the back burner. Over time this can lead to serious health risks. In fact, chronic sleep loss can lead to problems ranging from depression to high blood pressure to weight gain. Getting the best night’s rest you can starts with creating an environment that promotes comfort and relaxation.
Maximize the comfort of your sleep environment with these tips:
- If your partner snores or has disruptive sleep patterns, discuss an arrangement that allows you both to get the sleep you need. Consider using a pillow that helps prevent snoring such as the TEMPUR-Side Pillow.
- Keep your room cool: 65-72°F is optimal room temperature. If you tend to get too warm at night avoid wearing heavy sleepwear. Pillows and mattresses that use cooling gels and material, such as the Technogel pillows, the TEMPUR-Breeze pillow and the TEMPUR-Breeze mattress, can help keep your body temperature down during warm nights.
- Invest in a supportive, comfortable mattress. A good mattress is the foundation of a good night’s sleep.
- Turn off electronics 45-60 minutes before bedtime. The lights of tablets, phones, and computer screens suppress melatonin production, making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Darkness is best: try using a sleep mask to cover your eyes, use heavy curtains or shades to keep out morning light, or cover electronic displays.
- Keep all work material out of your bedroom. Stressful activities, whether physical or psychological, can cause the body to excrete the stress hormone cortisol, which is associated with increasing alertness.
- Quiet is key: try using a “white noise” app to block out unwanted noise. You can also use a fan, which does double duty to keep your room cool and provides consistent, soft, background noise.
Visit your local Relax The Back location to speak with a trained specialist regarding your specific sleep needs and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more tips. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get information and tips on sleep, office, and overall wellness, straight to your inbox! To sign up, visit www.relaxtheback.com and enter your email address at the bottom of the page.