Every year in May, the Better Sleep Council sponsors Better Sleep Month to bring awareness to the importance of quality sleep, how poor sleep affects us negatively, and ways we can create healthy sleeping patterns. Each year, nearly 40 million Americans suffer from chronic, long-term sleep disorders with an additional 20 million experiencing occasional sleeping problems. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now lists sleep deprivation as a public health epidemic.
When it comes to getting adequate sleep, there are many factors that come into play. By creating an environment that promotes comfort and relaxation you set yourself up for getting the best night’s sleep you can; allowing yourself to be more alert, productive, and emotionally balanced all day long.
Maximize the comfort of your sleep environment with these 7 tips:
- Keep your room cool. 65-72°F is the optimal temperature. If you are a warm sleeper, avoid heavy sleepwear. Look to add pillows and mattresses that use cooling gels and material to keep your body temperature down during the night. The Technogel Anatomic Pillow, PureRelax Zoned Gel Topper, and the TEMPUR-Pedic Breeze collection provide support and cooling relief all night long.
- Turn off all tablets, phones, and computers 90 minutes to 1 hour before bed or use a “Night Shift” setting to dim the blue lights on the screen closer to bedtime. These blue lights on our screens suppress melatonin production making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Invest in a supportive mattress and a pillow that fits your body type and sleeping style.
- Keep all work material out of the bedroom. Physical or psychologically stressful activities can cause the body to release the stress hormone cortisol, which is associated with increasing alertness, making it difficult for you to fall asleep.
- The more light you are able to keep out of the room the better. Use heavy curtains or shades to keep out the glare from street lights, try using a sleep mask to cover your eyes, or cover electronic displays.
- Quietness is key. Block out unwanted noise with a white noise app or use a fan, which does double duty by keeping your room cool and providing a consistent, soft background noise.
Visit a Relax The Back location near you to speak with our trained sleep experts who can help you create the ultimate bedroom sanctuary. From fitting you for a perfect pillow, to showing you different mattress styles, to offering tips and information on ways you can sleep easier with less pain, our specialists are there to provide one-on-one support. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest for more sleep tips.