What makes massage therapy beneficial to everyday life and overall health? While the reasons for getting a massage can vary from medical purposes, to relaxation, to a special indulgence while on vacation, incorporating regular massages into your health regimen has a positive impact on your health and wellbeing.
As EveryBody Deserves a Massage week kicks off on July 10th, we wanted to take a deeper look into the benefits of massage therapy.
These are just a few of the many ways massage therapy can improve your overall health and quality of life:
- Reduce stress and anxiety: Lowering stress levels can have a positive impact on your health and wellness. Through massage therapy, stress hormones are reduced, blood pressure is lowered, and levels of serotonin and dopamine, which help reduce depression, are increased.
- Pain management: By relaxing tense muscles, massage chairs and massage productss can alleviate back, neck, and all around muscle pain. Massage therapy can also be just as or more effective than medication and acupuncture treatments.
- Better sleep: Getting enough sleep is crucial to your health. Massage therapy helps to reduce pain and stress hormones while improving your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Relieve headaches: Did you know 45 million Americans suffer from chronic migraines and headaches? Not only can massage therapy help ease the pressure and pain of headaches but regular massages can also reduce the frequency and chance of getting a headache.
- Increase range of motion and flexibility: Massage therapy works on connective tissues, muscles, ligaments, and joints. This improves blood flow and keeps joints more fluid to improve flexibility while reducing the risk of injury.
Here are our favorite types of massage products:
- Massage Chairs: Get all of the benefits of a full body massage in the comfort of your own home.
- Handheld Massagers: You’ll always have relaxation at your fingertips with our portable and travel size massage products.
- Massage Cushions: Perfect for an on-the-go massage, at the office, or in your home.
- Foot Massagers: Give tired feet a treat after a long day of work.
Visit your local Relax The Back store to test out any of the products mentioned above. Our trained specialists will show you how to get the most out of our products so you can enjoy life, pain-free.
Stay tuned for an exciting massage chair giveaway coming up! We will be announcing more details next week.
Studies continue to show the positive effects massage therapy has on one’s health. Getting massages regularly can greatly improve your mental, physical, and emotional wellness. With our line of massage chairs, a therapeutic massage can take place any time of day, for any amount of time, in the privacy of your own home.
Massage therapy benefits
Massage therapy can be beneficial to all; especially those who are experiencing pain and discomfort throughout the day. Along with reducing soreness and aiding in relaxation, massages help:
- Reduce the amount of tension headaches and migraines by allowing the body to maintain a level of relaxation and stress-relief.
- Improve circulation due to oxygen and nutrients being kneaded through soft tissues and vital organs.
- Stretch tight or weak muscles.
- Reduce and ease back pain through improved flexibility and range of motion.
- Improved sleep quality.
- Decrease the stress hormone, cortisol, while increasing the feel-good hormones, dopamine and serotonin, resulting in less stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Manage and reduce chronic pain naturally to improve quality of life.
Choosing a massage chair
When it comes to massage and other comfort-related products, choosing a massage chair should come down to personal preference. We recommend visiting your local Relax The Back store to test out different styles of massage chairs. Our trained specialists can help you find the perfect chair for your specific needs.
When choosing your massage chair, here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Comfort level of chair: Some massage chairs have certain contours or shapes that will fit a particular body shape or need. Sit down in different types of chairs to find one that works with your body and specific needs.
- Strength of massage: The strength and type of massage varies from model to model. Let our specialists know which type of massages you prefer – are you are looking for a softer massage with targeted relief areas or a more intense, vigorous massage? Perhaps you enjoy heated massages? The DreamWave Massage Chair by Inada, for instance, features a heated seat and offers a Shiatsu style massage whereas the Zen 3D Massage Chair by Relax The Back includes 5 massage programs ranging from Swedish, to Shiatsu, to Air massage.
- Personalization and presets of a chair: As noted above, some massage chairs come with preset massage programs. Take time to experience these preset programs and settings when testing out each chair. Some chairs offer more variability, which works well for a chair that will have multiple users.
- Additional features and accessories: Certain massage chairs allow you to recline to zero-gravity, such as the Human Touch ZeroG 4.0. Some chairs include a foot and calf massager, which also acts as an extended leg rest. The Ultimate Smart Chair by Relax The Back comes with a tablet to customize user profiles, a USB port and speakers with Bluetooth capacity for listening to music or watching movies. Look into all options available to you when choosing your massage chair.
- Appearance: There are many fabric and material combinations to choose from as well as shapes and sizes and prices to fit your budget of massage chairs.
Head to your local Relax The Back store to try available massage chairs in your area. You can also visit us at relaxtheback.com to see our full line of massage chairs and other massage products.
After the holidays and with the start of a New Year, we often find ourselves reflecting on the past year and looking forward to a fresh start. If taking better care of yourself and getting healthy are part of your plan, try these ways to help improve your health in 2016:
- Make realistic resolutions and goals: Strive for goals that are attainable. Instead of creating a long list of resolutions that exceed your current lifestyle, pick 2-3 goals that can be broken down into sub-goals. This will help you measure and achieve your resolutions. For instance, limit intake of foods you may enjoy but find less healthy, not completely avoiding it at first, and increasing weekly workouts to 1-2 additional days; eventually working up to daily workouts and elimination of all unhealthy foods in your diet.
- Make a plan: There’s still plenty of time to make goals and a plan for 2016 to improve your health. Sit down, write down your goals, and create a plan to work towards those in the New Year. Decide how you’ll handle temptations, as well as how you’ll reward yourself for making small victories. It’s important to not feel rushed or stressed when deciding on ways to improve your health. Your mindset should be clear and focused on improvement.
- Find what makes you happy: So often we pick ways to improve our lifestyles or our health based on what we believe to be “the norm”. Making the decision to improve your health should include things that truly make you happy. If you enjoy walking or hiking instead of yoga, add a weekly hike to your schedule instead of signing up for unlimited yoga classes. Go to the spa to relax or take time for regular massages. Find activities and nutrition plans that work for you. This way you’re setting yourself up for success, not failure.
- Improve Comfort: From the office to the bedroom, improving comfort will lead to improving your health and overall wellness. Reducing daily pain and discomforts can help you live a more comfortable and productive lifestyle. Visit your local Relax The Back location to speak with a trained specialist who can help you find product solutions for your specific needs. Whether you’re working in an office from 9-5, commuting for work, or having difficulty sleeping, we can help you improve your health and have your best year yet!
Wrap up relief this holiday season with a gift that keeps on giving – pain-free and productive days at the work! When it comes to overall health and wellness at the office, workstation setup plays a big role. We’ve put together a list of our favorite ergonomic product solutions to help your loved ones increase their energy and productivity, reduce pain and discomfort, and improve their health.
Give the gift of comfort with these ergonomic products:
Visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with a trained specialist who can help you find the perfect gift based on specific needs. Also be sure to visit us online (www.relaxtheback.com) and on Facebook and Twitter.