Summer vacations are in full swing. Whether you are traveling with kids, your partner, friends, or alone, pain and flare-ups can inconvenience your plans. Long car rides, bumpy flights, and unforgiving seats cause back and leg muscles to stiffen, in addition to putting unnecessary stress on the spine.
Pain shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying some much needed time off. Wherever it is you are going, follow these simple steps to reduce aches and stress so you can enjoy your travels.
- Keep moving: Maintaining your workout routine, even a modified version, as well as stretching often, will help keep your muscles loose and circulation flowing. Pack a handheld massager or foam roller to work out knots and tense muscles caused by prolonged sitting. Our Theracane is also a great portable tool.
- Pack lightly: Instead of packing one heavy, large suitcase, pack two smaller bags. This will make lifting bags overhead into airplane bins, and in and out of the car, much easier.
- Lift properly: Lift luggage slowly and in stages. Avoid twisting by pivoting your feet so your entire body moves in the same direction. Twisting is a common cause of lower back injuries.
- Bring support: Airline seats and even some car seats do not offer adequate lumbar support. Pack an inflatable back cushion, such as our Self-Inflating Back Rest, to easily and quickly add support. Bring a U-Shaped Travel Pillow whenever you’re traveling to help you rest comfortably.
- Grab your pillow: When traveling, we often sleep on pillows that are not our own. They may not have the support you need for your body type, which leads to pain. Bring a pillow that is fit to your body type. The ContourSide Pillow comes in two travel sizes for a better fit.