Do you remember the last time you slept through the night – a night free from aches and pain? If you are constantly waking up throughout the night, it may be time for a new mattress.
There are many factors that go into creating the ultimate sleep oasis. A quality mattress is one of the key elements. Overtime, materials in your mattress begin to break down making the mattress unsupportive and uncomfortable to sleep on. Your mattress should fully support your spine and pressure points to help relieve pain and discomfort.
Keeping your room at the perfect temperature (65-72°F), turning off electronics before bed to allow yourself to unwind, sleeping with the perfect pillow for your body type, and using dark shades or a sleep mask to keep out morning light or electronic displays are a few other ways to help you maximize the comfort of your sleep environment.
When it comes to sleep products, no two bodies or preferences are the same. The sleep experts at your local Relax The Back store can help find the right mattress and foundation and, fit you for the perfect pillow to support your spina and neck in perfect posture. Our sleep experts will answer any questions and assist you in setting up a sleep environment that can help you get your best night’s rest. For a limited time, save $300 on TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze mattress sets before the prices goes up 3/1/16!
Take a look at the infographic below if you’re thinking of creating your own relaxing sleep oasis.
Infographic by Noelle Campbell for The Huffington Post
Hectic, busy lives often cause sleep to be put on the back burner. Over time this can lead to serious health risks. In fact, chronic sleep loss can lead to problems ranging from depression to high blood pressure to weight gain. Getting the best night’s rest you can starts with creating an environment that promotes comfort and relaxation.
Maximize the comfort of your sleep environment with these tips:
- If your partner snores or has disruptive sleep patterns, discuss an arrangement that allows you both to get the sleep you need. Consider using a pillow that helps prevent snoring such as the TEMPUR-Side Pillow.
- Keep your room cool: 65-72°F is optimal room temperature. If you tend to get too warm at night avoid wearing heavy sleepwear. Pillows and mattresses that use cooling gels and material, such as the Technogel pillows, the TEMPUR-Breeze pillow and the TEMPUR-Breeze mattress, can help keep your body temperature down during warm nights.
- Invest in a supportive, comfortable mattress. A good mattress is the foundation of a good night’s sleep.
- Turn off electronics 45-60 minutes before bedtime. The lights of tablets, phones, and computer screens suppress melatonin production, making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Darkness is best: try using a sleep mask to cover your eyes, use heavy curtains or shades to keep out morning light, or cover electronic displays.
- Keep all work material out of your bedroom. Stressful activities, whether physical or psychological, can cause the body to excrete the stress hormone cortisol, which is associated with increasing alertness.
- Quiet is key: try using a “white noise” app to block out unwanted noise. You can also use a fan, which does double duty to keep your room cool and provides consistent, soft, background noise.
Visit your local Relax The Back location to speak with a trained specialist regarding your specific sleep needs and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more tips. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to get information and tips on sleep, office, and overall wellness, straight to your inbox! To sign up, visit www.relaxtheback.com and enter your email address at the bottom of the page.
Sleep is as important to good health as diet and exercise. Quality sleep helps to improve cognitive function, cardiovascular health, and personal performance, to name a few. Not getting enough sleep can be a serious risk to your overall health and wellbeing. Today, forty-eight percent of Americans say they are sleep deprived. Chronic sleep loss, or poor sleep hygiene, can increase your risk of heart disease and high blood pressure, weaken your immune system and even decrease your lifespan.
Combat the negative effects of sleep deprivation with our top 10 ways to sleep easier tonight:
See our complete selection of sleep products online, or visit your local Relax The Back location to speak with one of our trained specialists.
The Better Sleep Council is a non-profit organization, devoted to educating the public on the importance of sleep. Established in 1979, they believe in the positive impact sleep has on one’s quality of life. Their goal is to ‘wake up’ the world to the value of a quality mattress and the vital role better sleep plays in having a happy, healthy lifestyle.
They share how one can improve their sleep environment with this tip:
For more sleep and mattress advice, be sure to visit BetterSleep.Org and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
Recently, we provided you with our top five apps to help you sleep more soundly and wake up more refreshed. While there are many apps on the market to help you achieve this, there are also many gadgets that can help you create a comfortable and relaxing sleep environment.
We’ve tracked down five gadgets to help you monitor your sleep quality, block out unwanted noise, control temperatures and wake up naturally to feel well rested:
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more sleep tips and facts. Or visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with one of our trained specialists.
Tricia Cardone is a passionate, certified Holistic Health Coach, nutritionist, and gluten practitioner. After being diagnosed with several autoimmune health concerns and food sensitivities, she began a journey on a more sustainable route that was holistic and nutritionally based. Tricia has turned her life journey into a passion to help others live a healthier, more vibrant life.
She shares her tips for improving your sleep environment and daily routine to help you have a better night’s rest:
Research shows the deepest and most regenerative sleep occurs between 10 pm and 2 am! Sweet dreams!
For more inspiring tips and information on health, nutrition, and overall wellness, follow Tricia on Twitter and Facebook, as well as on her website, APassionForHealthyLiving.com.
Last week, we talked about our top daily routine tips to help you get a better night’s rest. As is your daily routine, your sleep environment is also an important element in the quality of your sleep. Creating an environment that promotes relaxation and comfort is key when it comes to getting the best night’s rest you can and being more productive, alert, and emotionally balanced all day long.
Here are 8 tips to help you maximize the comfort of your sleep environment:
- Keep your room cool. If you tend too get warm at night avoid wearing heavy sleepwear.
- Use neutral colors in your bedroom- such as taupe, gray, beige, white and even light pastels
- If your partner has disruptive sleep patterns or snores, come up with an arrangement that allows you both to get the sleep you need. Consider switching to a pillow that helps prevent snoring such as the TEMPUR- Side Pillow.
- If you wake up during the night to use the restroom, and it’s safe to do so, try keeping lights to a minimum so it will be easier to go back to sleep.
- Keep work material out of the bedroom – physical and psychologically stressful activities can cause the body to excrete the stress hormone cortisol, which is associated with increasing alertness.
- If possible, pets should have their own bed – their movement can disrupt your sleep.
- Pillows should be replaced yearly.
- Mattress size matters – bed partners are recommended to buy a mattress no smaller than a queen mattress.
Take a look at previous tips we’ve provided here and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more sleep tips and facts. Or visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with one of our trained specialists.