Snoring affects nearly 90 million American adults. Of those, 37 million suffer from habitual snoring. While occasionally snoring is not a serious risk and more of a bother to your bed partner, it can become a serious health concern if you are a habitual snorer. Quality sleep is greatly reduced for you and your partner and snoring may also be a sign of obstructive sleep apnea, which can lead to higher blood pressure and a higher risk of heart attack and stroke.
Snoring is a result of an obstruction of airflow as it moves through the mouth and nose. This can be caused by obstructed nasal airways due to allergies or sinus infections, a deviated septum, being overweight leading to bulky throat tissue, or poor muscle tone in the throat and tongue. Snoring also becomes more serious as people age.
- Observed pauses in breathing during sleep
- Morning headaches
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Awakening at night feeling confused
Sleep Positions for Snorers
There are certain sleep positions that can help reduce snoring. If you have any of the symptoms above or you have been told that your snoring is disrupting others sleep schedules, these product solutions can help you have a better night’s rest.
- Adjustable bases allow you to tilt your upper torso upward, raising your head higher than your abdomen in neutral posture position. This helps to keep airways open and clear while you sleep.
- Bed Wedges provide the same benefit of adjustable bases with more affordable options. Easily move wedge pieces for personalized comfort.
- Pillows with adequate support are key and sleeping on your side is ideal for keeping airways open. Ergonomic pillows like the TEMPUR-Neck Pillow help prevent snoring by supporting your neck and shoulders while sleeping on your side.
Treatment for snoring varies from person to person, as always consult your doctor if symptoms continue or worsen.
Visit your local Relax The Back store to try our numerous sleep products firsthand. We know no two bodies are identical. Our trained specialists will fit you for a pillow and mattress that are perfect for your body type and preferred sleeping style.
Take advantage of our Tempur-Pedic sales event going on now through June 11th. Save up to $600 on Tempur-Pedic Mattress Sets; up to $400 on mattresses and $200 on adjustable bases. Quality sleep is only a visit away.