Exercise plays an important role in keeping your body and mind healthy. Targeting specific muscles groups such as your back and core can help strengthen these muscles to protect your spine. Restful nights, rejuvenated days, refreshed mornings are some of the positive benefits of a healthier back and taking time for self-care.
There are simple ways to maintain a healthy back and counter the strain of sitting at the office and during our commutes. These exercises and stretches focus on promoting spinal health, increased flexibility, and improving overall wellness.
Exercise Benefits For A Healthier Back
- Cat-Cow Variation: Relieve tension in the spine while reducing stiffness in the back and hips. Do 6-10 reps.
- Bird-Dog: Improve balance and strengthen your core. Do 6-10 reps.
- Child’s Pose: This restorative yoga position promotes a neutral spine. Stretch out along your side-body, relax tension in your shoulders and neck, and relieve pressure along your spine. Hold for 10-30 seconds.
- Plank: This move works your entire body but the biggest benefit comes from strengthening your core and back muscles. Hold for 10-30 seconds.
- Bridge: Stretch and strengthen muscles in your lower back, quads, hips, and abs. Do 6-10 reps.
- Supine Knee-Twist: Stretch your spine and back muscles and open tight shoulders. Sink into this position a little more with each exhale to relax at the end of this exercise series. Hold each side for 10-30 seconds.
For more information on how to improve your overall back health, make sure to visit your local Relax The Back store. Our trained specialists will work with you one-on-one to find a product or solution that works best for your specific needs.
Long flights can be hard on your back, neck, and muscles; especially for those who already experience pain in these areas. Sitting for prolonged periods of time stiffens muscles in the back and legs while putting pressure on your spine. Carrying heavy suitcases around from one destination to the next also puts you at risk for lower back injuries.
Relax The Back offers a wide-range of travel products that will increase your comfort levels and support. Easily portable, these products will provide you with the proper support wherever your journey takes you.
- Self-Inflating Back Rest: Easy to use, easy to carry, and always readily available. One of our most popular travel products, this back rest can be deflated and rolled up for easy transport.
- U-Shaped Travel Pillow: Made by Tempur-Pedic with their patented material, this pillow is perfect for long flights. TEMPUR material conforms to your head and neck for ultimate comfort and support.
- Cohens AcuBall Kit: Find relief with heat. This heatable self-massage ball provides post-travel relief by increasing blood flow, enhancing joint motion, and relaxing tight muscles.
- Theracane: This portable pressure point massager will work wonders on knots and tense muscles caused by prolonged sitting.
In addition to these products, the great infographic below by Thomas Cook provides also tips on how to prepare for your flight and highlights simple exercises you can do on the plane to relieve or prevent pain and stiffness.
If you’re traveling soon or have a long work commute, visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with our trained specialists. They will help you find the product solutions for your needs while providing more information on ways to stay pain-free.
Tax season is in full swing. Every year, close to 66% of all taxpayers are expected to receive a refund check. While many are planning to put their refund towards paying down debt, others plan to save or invest it.
If you’re expecting a check from Uncle Sam this year, we recommend using a portion of your refund to invest in health. When we care for and maintain our overall health and wellness we help to prevent pain and discomfort from turning into something more severe in the future. Let’s work together on being proactive about our health, starting with a few of our favorite healthy ways to spend your tax return.
- Invest in relief: Find relaxation, comfort, and a therapeutic experience in the comfort of your own home when you invest in a massage cushion, handheld massager, or a massage chair.
- Invest in work: Set yourself up for success when you create an ergonomic workstation. From ergonomic office chairs, to monitor arms, to standing desks, we can help you create the perfect spine-friendly workspace to keep you pain-free and productive throughout the day.
- Invest in fitness: Long-term health means long-term wealth. Consider using your refund to upgrade your home gym. Release and massage away tension with our selection of foam rollers, safely stretch muscles with our CoreStretch, or decompress your spine while increasing flexibility and circulation with an inversion table.
- Invest in health: If you are not putting the right nutrients into your body, your hard work spent on maintaining a fitness routine is lost. Make changes that create life-long habits rather than fad dieting. Balance, variety, and moderation are key to feeling and looking your best. With a healthy diet, you can prevent and control high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease.
- Invest in sleep: Sleep is often the first thing to get put on the back burner when work and stress levels are building up. Quality sleep is crucial to staying healthy and happy, and it can improve many health concerns. Invest in a quality pillow fit to your body type, mattress topper, or mattress for a better night’s rest while reducing risks of memory loss, weight gain, and chronic pain.
- Invest in experiences: Most importantly, invest in memories and experiences with loved ones. Sign up for a class together or take a trip to a place you’ve both been wanting to visit. Create lasting memories with the ones you love.
At Relax The Back, we understand no two bodies are the same. Everyone experiences relaxation and pain differently. When it comes to your home, office, or bedroom, we will help you find the right products for your specific needs. Our trained specialists will show you a number of product solutions to provide you with the utmost relief. When you visit a Relax The Back store, you have the chance to test each product while receiving one-on-one support.
Did you know that 1 in 10 premature deaths are caused by inactivity and lack of exercise? The World Health Organization (WHO) lists inactivity as the fourth biggest killer in adults. Research has shown that sitting for prolonged periods of time is degrading to our health, and that our bodies actually thrive on motion. While sitting through long commutes and working even longer hours can make staying active difficult, there are steps you can take to reverse the negative effects of inactivity.
Below, we have listed our top 10 ways to stay active throughout the day:
If you’re expecting a check in the mail this year from Uncle Sam, here are our top five tips for making the most of your hard-earned tax return
- Invest in Fitness – One way to long-term wealth is long-term health. By getting fit and healthy now, you can save a fortune in medical bills later. Consider using your refund for a gym membership or appointments with a physical therapist. There’s something for everyone in the wellness industry including programs to help you stop smoking, reduce stress, lose weight, etc. If back pain health is your focus, we have products to get you back to feeling your best, whether it’s to relieve tired/injured muscles or to increase strength.
- Invest in sleep – Another overlooked way to improve your health is to invest in sleep. Many health problems can be improved with a good night’s rest as sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle and can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and more. If you’re not getting the recommended 8 hours every night, you risk (among other things):
- Increase stroke risk
- Weight gain
- Memory loss
- Bone damage
- Increased heart disease risk
We take a whole body approach to improving the quality of your sleep, so come visit a store to talk to a trained associate. You might be surprised that your “old mattress” may not be the problem.
- Invest in your diet – A change to healthier eating also includes learning about balance, variety, and moderation. Rather than dieting (a temporary fix), healthy eating means making changes that become life-long habits. It can help you get the right balance of nutrients and have you feeling and looking your best. Your diet is also a key in preventing and controlling heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes.
- Treat yourself to a massage – Reduce stress and painful aches of a long day with a massage. There’s an option for any price point – from portable, travel-size massage products to a luxurious, 3D massage chair – for all members of the family. Melt away the stress of the pre-tax season by opting for a relaxing, therapeutic experience that comes with many health benefits.
- Invest in memories – They say money can’t buy happiness but you can get close. Reserve your refund for experiences (not material objects) that give you more bang for your buck. For example, a getaway trip with loved ones or a cooking class can lead to increased happiness/health with fond memories. They keep giving long after, unlike a new wardrobe piece purchase.
How will you be spending (or saving) your tax refund this year?