Cold and flu season is in full swing and this winter, the entire country is seeing an increased number of cases. Doctors and healthcare professionals say the flu season can last through April. Though cold winter temperatures create ideal conditions for the flu virus to thrive and replicate more quickly. Symptoms such as body aches, chills, fever, sore throats, and sneezing can last from days to weeks.
These natural remedies will help alleviate and relieve symptoms and have you feeling better sooner. If you are still feeling sick after a few weeks, make an appointment to see your doctor. As always, consult your physicians before starting any new treatments.
- Take a hot shower: Relax achy muscles and breathe in steam to moisten nasal passages and scratchy throats.
- Humidifier: Dry conditions cause the influenza virus to spread faster and more easily. Similar to the benefits you get from steam in a hot shower, using a humidifier can help increase the humidity in your home to help you breathe easier and reduce nasal inflammation.
- Hydrate: Drinking a lot of fluids is more important than ever when you’re feeling under the weather. Dehydration can lead to new or worsening symptoms causing you to feel more even more sick. Staying hydrated helps control or prevent nausea, keep fevers down, and helps clear your head and chest of congestion.
- Get enough sleep: Possibly the most important of all, getting adequate sleep is a vital cold remedy. Sleep deprivation can weaken our immune system’s ability to function at an optimal level.
- Add an extra pillow: In addition to getting enough sleep, using a bed wedge system or an extra pillow to elevate your upper body opens up nasal passages, promoting sinus drainage down the back of your throat. This allows you to rest more comfortably throughout the night and it will help you sleep easier.
- Drink hot beverages: Sooth a sore throat and nasal congestion with hot tea or hot water with lemon and honey. Warm herbal teas can also promote calmness and relaxation before bed to help you fall asleep easier.
- Gargle salt water: While this won’t cure your cold, gargling warm salt water can bring temporary relief to a sore, scratchy throat. Dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water and gargle a few times a day to relieve pain.
If you are having difficulty sleeping comfortably, visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with our trained associates. They will work with you to find product solutions to help you rest comfortably all-night long.