Staying in one position for a prolonged period begins to take a toll on your body and your mind. When sitting or standing at the office, our muscles often become stiff and tight throughout the day. Taking the time to stretch while at work helps to relax tense muscles, in addition to being an effective strategy in boosting your health and happiness.
Set a calendar reminder for a 10-15 minute break to try the 17 stretches found in the infographic below. They can be done right at your desk! Incorporating stretches into your daily work regimen has many benefits including relaxing muscle stiffness in the shoulders, back, and neck, increasing range of motion and flexibility, and helping you feel more alert and energized.
While stretches are great for short-term relief, there are other measures you can take to relieve discomfort and increase your overall wellness. Visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with our trained specialists. They will help you find useful solutions for the office or at home. Try our ergonomic workstation products that can help you find relief while working, ergonomic office chairs and back cushions that provide the support you need for productive workdays, or massage tools that can be used at work, at home, or on-the-go.
Physical inactivity is the fourth leading cause of deaths worldwide. Some reports have estimated American adults spend roughly 55% of their time being inactive. This is a key risk factor for diseases such as cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, and obesity. Staying on top of your healthy habits while working at the office or at home can be hard. While we may set goals in the morning to take breaks and walk around during the day or workout during our lunch break, it isn’t uncommon to get lost in work and before we know it the day is over.
From tracking your water intake to sending reminders to take a break from the computer, these apps can help you be on your way to a pain-free and productive workday while staying on top of your health goals:
- Healthier: Break Reminder and Time Out: By periodically reminding you to take a break from your computer, these apps will help increase productivity and reduce health risks. Using Windows? Download Rest Break to find the same benefits.
- Move: While the above apps remind you to take short breaks from your computer screen, Move sends daily activity reminders. The app provides over 300 exercises for little workout reminders all day long. Daily Exercises provides similar features for Android users.
- Waterlogged: Track your daily water intake with hydration reminders. Staying hydrated helps you maintain energy throughout the day while keeping muscles and joints lubricated. Water Tracker is a similar app available for Androids.
- Office Stretches: Find relief from muscles stiffness and tension while at the office with this collection of short near-desk stretching exercises. Android users, download Stretch Exercises to find the same relief while at work.
- Fitbit and Jawbone: While these are not standalone apps, these wearable tech devices act as guides to a better, healthier you. Track your steps and daily activity, sleep cycles, and food and drink intake with handy phone apps that are synced to your device.
Stop by your local Relax The Back location and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more information on how you can have a pain-free and productive day.