Sleep is a core part of everyone’s health. But are you getting enough? If you wake up feeling groggy, chances are you’re not getting quality sleep. Nearly eight in 10 Americans believe they would be more prepared for the day and would feel better if they got just one more hour of sleep.
Thankfully, there are techniques that can help you get some extra shut eye. By incorporating the tips we’ve outline below, you can create healthy sleep habits. When we are getting adequate sleep, we’re improving our cognitive function, cardiovascular health and our personal performance.
Be on your way to a better night’s rest with these tips and tricks:
- Try aromatherapy oils: Essential oils can help calm the mind and put you in a state of relaxation. The scent of lavender is known for its sleep benefits. Spray your pillow or diffuse oils as you are getting ready for bed.
- Stretch and exercise the neck before bed: Strengthening your neck with certain exercises can be helpful in preventing pain, so you can fall asleep easier and wake up feeling better.
- Create the ultimate sleep environment: Make your room a sleep oasis by incorporating pieces that calm you; light colors, comfortable bedding, and quality sleep products. Think cool, dark, and quiet when putting together your space.
- Listen to soothing music: Turn on a sleep inspired playlist that lasts 30-45 minutes. Soothing tunes will drown out noises from neighbors or the outdoors.
- Minimize any disruptions: Cover electronic screens, use a sleep mask, or purchase heavy shades or curtains to keep distracting lights out.
- Establish consistent sleep and wake routines: Sticking to a regular routine, even on the weekends, helps the body unwind and wake up naturally.
- Take a warm bath or shower: Relax tense muscles and unwind before bed. Also, stepping into a cool room after a warm shower helps decrease body temperatures, which triggers a tranquil, drowsy feeling.
- Put electronics away: Laptops, smartphones, TVs, or tablets should be powered down and put away (outside of the bedroom!) 45-60 minutes before bedtime. The bright lights of these screens triggers our brains to wake up, making it difficult to fall asleep.
- Get up after 20 minutes: If you are still awake, tossing and turning, after 20 minutes, get out of bed and try a relaxing activity. Listen to calming music, make a cup of caffeine-free tea, or read a book.
- Be mindful of what you eat and drink: Avoid heavy or large meals 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. Feeling full can cause discomfort and indigestion, keeping you awake. Be sure to limit alcohol and caffeine intake as well.
Visit your local Relax The Back location to speak with one of our trained specialists who can provide more ideas for improving your sleep environment. They will work with you one-on-one to you find the mattress, pillow, bed wedge, or mattress topper that fits your needs so you can sleep better and live better.
At Relax The Back, we understand the importance of restorative sleep. Sleep is one of the most significant contributions to your overall health and well-being. When you receive a good night’s rest, you wake up feeling rejuvenated and refreshed on your way to living the best life possible. Making sure you are getting quality sleep depends on many factors. However, the foundation of a better night’s rest begins with your sleep products.
Quality sleep products support your body from the moment you lie down until the second you wake up. From mattresses, to adjustable bases, to pillows, having the proper support keeps your spine and muscles aligned to reduce pressure, improve circulation, and keep you comfortable all night long.
Tempur-Pedic products adapt to your exact body shape, size, and weight giving you a completely customized sleep experience. Below are a few of our favorite products that will help you be on your way to a good night’s rest.
- TEMPUR-Neck Pillow: Perfect for back and side sleepers looking for a more therapeutic, restful sleep. Maintain the natural curve of your spine with a pillow that adequately supports your head, neck, and shoulders. Ergonomic pillows can also help prevent snoring.
- TEMPUR-Contour Elite Mattress: For those wanting more adaptive support, the TEMPUR-Contour Collection is a firmer feeling mattress. Coupled with light contouring, this mattress relieves pressure points for less tossing and turning throughout the night.
- Body Pillow: Improve circulation, and find full body ergonomic support and spinal alignment, allowing muscles to fully relax for a more restful sleep.
- TEMPUR All-Purpose Pillow: Used as a neck roll, lumbar cushion, or leg spacer, this “peanut” shaped TEMPUR pillow responds to body temperature and weight to provide unmatched comfort, pressure relief, and ergonomic support wherever you are.
- Sleep Mask: Minimize disruptions and keep out light from electronic screens or outdoor lights.
- TEMPUR Adjustable Bases: Personalize your comfort levels while maintaining the natural curve of your lower back. Adjustable bases provide support in bed when sleeping, reading, or relaxing.
Take advantage of our Tempur-Pedic sales event going on now. Receive up to $300 in free gifts with the purchase of any Tempur-Pedic Mattress Set and apply for our 48-month finance buydown program.
Visit your local Relax The Back store to speak with our trained sleep experts who can help you test out our numerous Tempur-Pedic and quality sleep products. They will work with you one-on-one to determine the best product solutions for your specific needs. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest for more tips, products and giveaways that will help you sleep better and live better.
If you or someone you know experience migraines, you are aware of how debilitating they can be. A migraine is much more than an intense headache. Blurred vision, immense pain, nausea, and numbness to the face or limbs are all symptoms of a migraine headache. These symptoms can last anywhere from 4 to 72 hours.
Those who suffer from migraines are often aware of their triggers; whether it is food, lack of sleep, stress, changes in weather, or hormones, to name a few. Neck and back pain is also a common trigger. A vicious cycle can arise due to neck pain causing sleep disturbances and lack of quality sleep causing migraines. Other than medication, there are ways to help prevent pain and it starts in the bedroom.
Pillows for migraine relief
When we are awake, we are more likely to be aware of our posture and maintaining proper positioning to allow the least amount of stress on our spine. When we sleep, however, we may be falling into positions that do not properly support a neutral posture.
Quality pillows can provide support throughout the night to ensure your spine is properly aligned, minimizing irritation to your neck muscles. Keep in mind, pillows are not all the same size. Getting fitted for a pillow ensures you are sleeping with the correct size and style based on your body type and sleep preference.
These pillows can provide the support you need for migraine relief:
- Technogel Sleeping Gel Pillow: This anatomic pillow keeps your head, neck, and spine aligned while adjusting to your neck shape and movement. A layer of gel keeps you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- Contourside Pillow by Relax The Back: Ideal for side sleepers, the dual cradle design and airflow system improves breathing while you rest. Also relieves jaw and ear pressure.
- TEMPUR-Cloud Soft & Lofty Pillow: Cushion soft for lasting comfort on your neck, shoulders, and head. TEMPUR micro cushions cradle your head and ease neck pressure.
Visit your local Relax The Back store to try our numerous sleep products firsthand. We know no two bodies are identical. Our trained specialists will work with you to determine the best sleep products for your specific needs. They will fit you for a pillow that is perfect for your body type and preferred sleeping style.