Getting a massage is far more than a luxury. Studies show that treating yourself to regular massages can have a tremendously positive impact on your overall health and wellness, as well as being an important aspect of preventive care.
Whether you’re getting a massage for relaxation, medical purposes, or as a special indulgence, finding the time for a massage is very beneficial to everyday life. From reduced tension headaches and migraines to improved flexibility and circulation, there are numerous health benefits of massage therapy.
Every year, the ABMP celebrates EveryBody Deserves a Massage Week. This week was created to promote benefits of regular body work and to highlight the work of massage therapists.
In honor of the week, we have put together a quick list of reasons why everybody should get a massage:
- Stretch tight or weak muscles while improving flexibility and range of motion. This helps to reduce and ease back pain.
- Oxygen and nutrients are kneaded through soft tissues and vital organs to improve circulation.
- Manage and reduce chronic pain naturally to improve overall quality of life.
- Decrease stress, depression, and anxiety through decreased levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, while feel-good hormones, serotonin and dopamine, are increased.
- Improve sleep quality.
Even if you are not currently feeling aches and pains, you are not injured, or you are not feeling stressed, working in regular massages help prevent future health issues from developing. At Relax The Back, we understand the importance of preventive care, staying healthy, and living a pain-free life.
Visit your local Relax The Back store for a first-hand, in-store massage experience in one of our many massage chairs. Our trained specialists can also show you our numerous handheld massagers, foot massagers, and massage cushions to fit any budget or pain point.
The situations and pressures of everyday life can take a toll on one’s overall health and well-being. From depression, irritability, and anxiety to physical pain such as nausea, dizziness, and chest pain, stress can present itself in many different ways. Finding time and ways to relax will help reduce the negative effects of stress on your body and mind, relieve built up tension, and calm emotions. Relaxation techniques can help one cope with stress management and improve their overall quality of life.
Next time you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed, try one of our 10 ways to relax and de-stress. Even if you feel that you don’t have time to slow down, many of these techniques only take a few minutes.
Most pain relief treatments often ignore or pay little attention to psychological factors, so in honor of yesterday being National Relaxation Day, Relax The Back wants to highlight a few basic relaxation techniques to help bring you back into balance. We understand that when hectic lifestyles and debilitating pain get you down, it can be difficult to abide by the conventional wisdom of staying positive for a speedy recovery. Here are some simple techniques you can practice to help improve your state of mind:
- Take deep breaths – Inhale so that your abdomen or lower belly expands. If you notice your chest rising, this is indicative of shallow breathing. Start over, breathe in, and fill your lungs from the bottom to the top.
- Visualization – Imagine your peaceful place as vividly as you can, trying to engage all of your senses. Visually walk around the scene, hearing the noises, smelling the flora, feeling the air, etc. Even if you don’t have the luxury to physically get away, you can give your mind a change of pace by practicing visualization.
- Body Scan – Lie on your back, arms relaxed by your side, eyes open or closed. Engage in deep breathing to relax and turn your focus to every inch of your body, starting at your right foot and slowly working your way up your right side to the tip of your head and back down the left. Pay attention to any tense muscles or pain, and observe how your body feels.
- Music – Listen to your favorite song to turn your attitude around or a calming tune with a slow tempo to align your heartbeat. Classical tunes and artists with soothing voices help do the trick. Visit our Facebook page for song suggestions every Monday that are sure to put you in a good mood or help you relax.
- Self-Massage – When your crazy schedule leaves you no time for a visit to a massage therapist, give yourself a massage using out best-selling Theracane or the Dolphin Lite Handheld Massager. A self-massage can help you release tension and relax without hurting your wallet.
Take the time to find what techniques work for you. It only takes a few minutes to refocus your attention, but you’ll be reaping the benefits for far longer when you’re in a healthy state of mind.